Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mile High Memories


In the middle of September I made a return trip to the Mile High City for a week-long series of business meetings. At last year's US Open, I had met a group of people from the Denver area who showed me great hospitality the week after our encounter in Flushing Meadow. This year, I contacted my friends about a week before my trip to see if we could set up some time to hit the courts. I got that and a whole lot more.

On Sunday before our meetings began, I went to Boulder with my co-workers for brunch and a quick trip into the mountains. While on the ride I got a call from Steve who said he or one of the other guys would meet me and we'd make plans as we go. So Brock, Steve, Matt and his daughter Haley joined me in a brew pub to catch up and hang out. Later Steve and Matt took me for an hour hike around the mountains in Boulder. We then went to John's house to watch the semi-finals of the Open. Steve brought me back to my hotel in downtown Denver, 30 minutes away, at the end of the night.

Monday night Brock and Steve met me at the hotel and we went over to the Gates Tennis Center to hit some balls around. This is a top notch public facility. Make sure you call ahead to reserve a court and be advised there is a court fee. It is well worth it. We had a great hourlong workout and then made our way to a local grill to get a bite to eat.

Tuesday night Matt picked me up at the hotel and we zipped over to Washington Park to hit for an hour. I must have seen 1,000 people walking by the courts. It is a very popular spot for riders and walkers. Steve then called and we met him at an Irish pub downtown where we sat outside for dinner while an in-training waitress did a great job serving us.

Earlier in the week, John called to let me know a friend of his was playing at a prestigious Denver jazz club, Dazzle, on Wednesday. I love jazz and when he followed up Wednesday afternoon I told him I would meet him there. If you get a chance, make a point to see a show at Dazzle. It has a lot of character and a number of well-known jazz greats have played there. John's friend is Bonnie Lowdermilk and she put on a great performance. She is a vocalist / pianist in the traditional jazz style and she included two original compositions in the show. "Bankin' on the Moon," inspired by George Clooney, is a great song and you can hear it on her web site, www.bonnielowdermilk.com. After the show I got on her e-mail list and we've even traded a few stories since then.

The weather did not cooperate on Thursday and so tennis plans were scratched, but Matt did come down with his daughter and we went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner.

This is a special group of people and I can't wait to get back out for another visit. Wow! Meet some people at the US Open and you have got friends for life. I am looking forward to the time when some of them make their way to Charlotte. After sharing photos and stories with them about this year's Open, I have a good feeling they will be in NYC next August.

Time.

No comments: